Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Drivers License Restoration
- Business & Estate Planning
- General Civil Litigation
- Wrongful Death
- Personal Injury
- Bicycle Accidents
- Products Liability
- Automobile Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Admitted to Bar
- 1997 Michigan
- 1997 U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- 2003 South Carolina
- 2004 North Carolina
- 2004 Oklahoma
- 2004 Pennsylvania
- 2006 U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- 2008 U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- 2010 Supreme Court for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
- Presidential Scholar
- Corpus Juris Secundum Award in Contracts
- Corpus Juris Secundum Award in Civil Procedure
- University of Toledo, Juris Doctrate
- University of Central Arkansas, B.B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of South Carolina
- State Bar of North Carolina
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- State Bar of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Bar of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
- Member of the Board of Directors for Legal Aid of Western Michigan
- Member of the School Board for West Michigan Academy of Arts & Academics
- Riding Competitively since 1998
- Former State Criterium Champion
- Member and former President of the Low Country Racing Team
- USA Cycling Category 3 racing license
- Four (4) years of Collegiate Baseball
- Captain of the University of Central Arkansas Baseball Team
John’s legal ability has won many cases, but John’s understanding, knowledge and experience is what wins the trust of his clients. He has won academic distinctions like the Corpus Juris Secundum Award in Contracts and Civil Procedure while earning his Juris Doctor degree. He is admitted to practice in Michigan, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania, before the Supreme Court for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and federal courts in Michigan, North Carolina and South Carolina.
John began practicing law in 1997. The majority of John’s career has been with a specialized litigation firm in Charleston, South Carolina. While there he acted as lead counsel in over 50 jury trials before becoming a partner at Van Tubergen, Treutler and Hayes, PLLC located in downtown Grand Haven. Van Tubergen, Treutler and Hayes is a general practice law firm and John’s primary focus is on family law, civil litigation, personal injury litigation, business and estate planning.
John is active in the community where he is a member of the School Board for West Michigan Academy of Arts and Academics and sits on the Board of Directors for Legal Aid of Western Michigan.
While John Hayes’s biography demonstrates his legal accomplishments, those who know John will tell you of his passion for cycling. A former State Criterium Champion and a member and former president of the LowCountry Racing Team, John has published articles on bicycle awareness and safety; he holds a USA Cycling Category 3 racing license.
John lives in Grand Haven with his wife and children.
Areas We Practice
As you browse through the pages of this website, we hope you will begin to understand how we continue to make client success our mission! Contact us today for a free initial Consultation!